SEE ONE: HOW
The aim of this unit is to present different examples of educational video and to inspire you to start using video in your own teaching. The examples are picked from different fields of study and represent different educational levels, but the pedagogical idea behind the videos can be applied to any educational situation or level.
See One – Pedagogy for practicing video in teaching (How)
- Practical tips on how using video in teaching
- Inspiring examples of using video in teaching
- Reflections on examples of video in teaching from different scientific and educational fields
- To be familiar with how using video in education as well as practical examples of educational videos
HOW USING VIDEO IN TEACHING
Videos can be an effective tool in your teaching tool kit. When incorporating videos into a lesson, it’s important to keep in mind the elements that impact engagement, and elements that promote active learning. Therefore:
- Keep videos brief and targeted on the learning goal
- Use audio and visual elements to underscore central parts of an explanation
- Use underline to highlight important ideas or concepts
- Use a conversational, enthusiastic style to enhance engagement
- Embed videos in a context of active learning by using guiding questions, interactive elements, or associated homework assignments
We will give you different examples on how you can use video in different ways in your teaching and for different purposes.
We encourage you to be open-minded and study the different examples regardless of which field they represent. The pedagogical benefit of the examples is inter- and multidisciplinary.
Examples of learning videos
Below you find some examples of learning videos from different scientific fields and for different pedagogical purposes:
How to do visual (formal) analysis in art history
Spain and Portugal empires
The Eight Essential Principles of Classical Pedagogy
The Phillips Curve
TIME TO PLAY - REFLECTIONS
- Choose two examples of video from the list above for evaluation
- Evaluate the video material from different pedagogical aspects
- How do you find the design and the format of the video?
- What is the main purpose of the video in your opinion?
- Have you found video material that inspires you to create a video of your own or to start using existing videos in your own teaching?