DO ONE: INTRO
In this unit you will learn how to find and use existing simulations in your courses and how to design and develop your own playful simulations. More specifically you will:
- get familiarized with repositories of ready-to-use simulations
- get familiarized with tools for creating simulations
- identify the basic steps of instructional design to develop a simulation
- get practical experience in designing the prototype of a playful simulation
- evaluate a simulation based on the standards of playful simulations and needs analysis
- develop a playful simulation with the use of available tools
The Do One unit includes the following elements:
- Explore available tools for developing a playful simulation
- Identify a playful simulation in your discipline appropriate for your students’ age group
- Instructional Design stages through the ADDIE model: Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation and Evaluation
- Design and Develop your simulation
Before you dive into the unit...
Reflection is a great way to enhance your learning, so, before you move on with the topic try to reflect on the following questions:
- Why do I need a simulation?
- How does it fit my lesson learning objectives?
- What is the added value of a playful simulation for my lesson?
- What are the main needs of my students in terms of content and knowledge, skills and difficulties?
- Where can I find ready-to-use simulations?
- How can I evaluate a simulation to be appropriate for my case?
- How can I create my own simulations?